Health and Safety Advisor
Wages : C$ - Depending on Experience
The Universal Group is an industry leader in Health and Safety. We offer an entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for job advancement and continued education. If you want to be a part of a progressive, fun, growing dynamic team, we look forward to hearing from you!
Position: Health and Safety Advisor
Start Date: ASAP
Reports to: Manager – Health and Safety
The HSE Advisor will act as a secondary resource ensuring that the HSE Program of the Universal Group is promoted and complied with during operational activities. He/She will communicate with management, supervisors and employees on related initiatives and issues. This role will be in direct support for the M3, Universal Landscaping and Universal Demolition divisions as well as secondary support for the Universal Flagging/GOtraffic Management brands.
The successful candidate will be expected to coordinate site safety requirements so that operational activities are adequately supported. This individual must have a passion for safety and for creating safe work environments for employees. He/She must be able to thrive in a dynamic and demanding work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support field staff in safe operations that meet regulatory requirements and correct issues daily
- Visit field sites, participating and conducting safety meetings, reviewing safety initiatives with field employees and conducting audits/safety reviews
- Conduct workplace and job site safety inspections
- Conduct detailed incident investigations for injuries, property damage, and near miss incidents and report on findings including identifying causal factors and corrective actions
- Recommend corrective actions and assist in the timely implementation of corrective actions;
- Review Health & Safety related paperwork including tailboards, FLRAs, inspections, etc.
- Assist in the development of Safe Work Practices and Safe Job Procedures
- Assess and ensure compliance with applicable safety legislation and internal/customer protocols
- Assist in the development of Health and Safety performance measures, monitor and report on performance
- Work with the Field Supervisors and Traffic Management Personnel in a coaching and guiding role to increase field level safety knowledge and presence
- Support the Graduated Return To Work program and processes
- Attend Kickoff meetings, HSE training and orientations
- Work with our clients to complete Project Safety Plans, Hazard Assessments and Risk Registries for Critical Tasks
- Assist with HSE Audits and Training Matrixes
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to address HSE related issues
- Other duties as required by the Health & Safety Department
- Work efficiently with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Knowledge of OH&S laws and regulations, codes, and industry best practices; OHS Regulation and Workers’ Compensation Act
- Completed or currently enrolled in an OHS Certificate/Diploma Program at an accredited College or University
- Some traffic management/industrial/construction background preferred
- May require non-standard hours of work outside the office environment
- Willing to travel and work on any job sites in the lower mainland
- Be on call for emergencies after hours and on weekends
The successful applicants will be required to stand for sometimes long periods of time, talk, hear and use both hands to perform the duties of a Health and Safety Advisory. This position requires the ability to lift equipment up to 40 pounds.
If you would like to be considered, please submit your resume ASAP. We thank all candidates for their interest, but only qualified individuals being considered will be contacted.